Thursday, March 3, 2011

What I'm Wearing + Book Sale Treasures

Well, guess what? Tomorrow the finalist for the Keeping it Classy {modest fashion week} will be announced!! I, also, have a little surprise for y'all on Saturday. I know you will like it. Trust me. You will. =)

First off, what I wore today. If you were to see what I've been wearing this week, you would think it was Spring around here. But it's not. I'm just protesting against winter. 

Not really, I just want warm weather to come real soon.  

What I wore today: Large Floral Skirt {made by me} (Amy Butler Pattern); White Ruffle T-shirt {Ann Taylor}; Navy Blue Cardigan {Old Navy}; Tan Boots {Target}; Cameo Necklace {Portobello Road Market, London, UK}; "Kate Spade" inspired earrings (to me at least) {Etsy}; and a Yellow Flower Ring {c/o Stella & Dot (won in a giveaway)}.

This is the ring I was wearing today. Well, actually since the mail came. It arrived this afternoon! How cute is this ring!?! I love the little ladybird detail in the center.

I found so many good things at the last book sale and then on half-price day. That I decided I HAD to share pictures with all of you. You don't mind do you? I know I always enjoy seeing what treasures everyone else finds. =) We will start off the books in the above picture. The bottom book is a German bible from 1872. The owners were originally from German but immigrated to America in 1855, I believe, to Ohio. Very interesting. The middle book is, Mother's Truth's Melodies: A Kindergarden for Little Folks by: Mrs. E. P. Miller {1879}. While the top book I think is a Psalter put together by Martin Luther from 1834. If any of you read German, here is the title page.


The bottom book is Swiss Family Robinson from 1888. The girl who owned this book was a school teacher. She received the book as a gift from her first teaching job, she was only sixteen. The other two books are Little Men & Little Women {1910}.

 Where Women Create magazine. The Williamsburg Art of Cookery by: Mrs. Helen Bullock. Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook {1954, first edition}.

The Big Book of Knitting by: Isabella Stevenson {1948}; American Costume Dolls: How to Make and Dress Them by: Nina Jordan {1941}; Irish Linen: The Fabric of Elegance {1945}.

Knitting pamphlets/books.

Four LOOK magazines, One LIFE magazine, and one POST magazine {this is a British magazine}. All of these magazines are from the 1940s.

 A ton of little cookbooks from the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.

Here are the movies I found. Victoria & Albert BBC, Christmas in Connecticut, The Philadelphia Story, Life with Father, Holiday Inn, White Christmas, and two Christmas special episodes of Ozzie & Harriet.  


There is a modest fashion week coming up in April that will be hosted by Miss Grace @ Grace Place. Visit her blog for more details.

Before I forget. How do all like the new layout? 

~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment