Wednesday, May 4, 2011

1990s Dress Turned 1940s Refashion


This afternoon I took this dress from the 1990s to today with a 1940s flair. The dress has been in my closet for years - I think since about 2002 & the dress was either from friends or Goodwill. :) I've worn the dress for many years - until about two or three years ago, when I didn't want to wear baggy, long dresses anymore. But I kept the dress because I love the collar and basic style - just not how it fit on me. I would be tempted to throw the dress away, but could never bring myself to do the deed. I'm so glad I never did as I loved how the finished product turned out! 


To fix the bodice I separated the bodice and skirt. Then I cut open the seams on the side and the seam for the sleeve. Taking my dress-form, Lizzy, I placed the dress bodice inside out on her. Then I just fitted the bodice to her. Adding a dart to the front to help take in the fullness. I also added a pleat to the back of the bodice and I snipped off the ties {you know the ones that almost every dress from the 90s has}. After getting the bodice all pinned, I sewed the bodice back together again.  


The skirt was easy. I just added a few pleats to the already slightly gathered skirt and reattached it to the bodice. After I sewed it back on, I put the dress on Lizzy and chopped several inches off the hem. Then just did a simple rolled hem to finish the raw edges. And voila - a 1940s inspired dress. I didn't plan the dress to look 1940s, I was just going for a more modern fitted look. But I adore the end result! I just need a red belt to finish off the look. Maybe some red shoes too. ;-)   

No comments:

Post a Comment