Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Balance and The Mommy Wars

Now more than ever have us mommies had so much to balance and figure out. Aw, how do we do it...

I am not a feminist. I am not an advocate of being a "working mom" or a "stay-at-home mom". I don't believe in labels or stereotypes. I believe we need to give each other a break and stop judging and start supporting. We are all trying to do our best. I believe that, anyway.

A friend recently asked me how I work and balance being a mom. Well... I don't know. I can crave the lifestyle of the "old days" where moms were moms and they had blissful days filled with teaching, discovering and playing with the kids and concocting gourmet meals to be ready for the "bread winner" to return home. But then I realize these women worked just as hard... but differently.

A fellow photographer once said the key to balancing home life with working was to not let your clients rule your life, because they will. My experience hasn't been that though. I find that setting realistic expectations and being honest about what I can do and how long it will take is the key. I am lucky. All of my clients have been fabulous and I really truly like them a lot. I get to meet amazing women. Some are mothers, some aren't. Some are getting married, some have been married for years. Some work and some don't. But, they are all amazing and inspirational and truly love their men and want to do something for them. They are brave and self confident and also self conscious and fragile... all the things that make them, well, Women.

No comments:

Post a Comment