Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Heart For Madison

(Read the original post first. I decided to put updates in the same post to make it easier to follow)

12-04-09 Update: Madison has a new heart on the way. She will go into surgery today. Please keep her family in your prayers, after the surgery the journey won't end, it will just begin. And please also keep the family that donated the heart in your prayers too. The gift of a heart means another family lost their child.

12-08-09 Update: Madison's surgery went well. I didn't know a lot about heart transplants before this, but the more I learn the more I realize what a miracle it is. In a child a new heart will start beating the moment warm blood touches it. Madison's doctor said that a heart was made to do one thing - pump blood, and it knows what to do. I was able to visit Mark and Michelle in the hospital during the surgery. They were doing so well and were surrounded by family and friends.

Larry, one of Mark's friends, purchased Madison's tree from the Festival of Trees and set it up in their house. He wanted them to have it and his generosity has touched me so deeply!

Get well soon little Miss Madison, you are loved so much!

Original Post:

I spent yesterday at the Festival of Trees at the South Towne Expo Center helping to decorate a tree in honor of my dear friends Mark and Michelle's baby daughter, Madison, who is waiting for a heart transplant.

Madison is 17 months old. She has a twin brother, Cooper. She will have her heart transplant performed at Primary Children's Hospital which is where the proceeds from the Festival of Trees will go.
You can read a blog Madison's parents are writing HERE.
Everyone should take time to visit the Festival of Trees which starts tomorrow (Wednesday) night for the public. I am amazed at the amount of hours that are donated (not to mention monatary donations). I am so glad I got to be a part of it.

The tree is titled "A Heart For Madison" and yes, there is a tree under all the ornaments.

I love Teddy Bears. From the beginning I thought it would be cute to put bears in boxes under the tree. Don't you adore the pink lights? I have battle wounds from wiring them on.

Twin bears for Cooper and Madison!

I picked out this ornament which reads:

Love believes all, hopes all, endures all... Love never ends.

Mark and Michelle have a long road in front of them, but I have faith they will get through this. They are strong and wonderful parents and they can be secure in the knowledge that their family is forever and that the trials they face now are just for a short time. I hope they also know how much they are loved by their friends, family and coworkers!

I took this picture a year ago to the week! They both look so tiny here.

No comments:

Post a Comment